Coil Defining Jelly
For Defining Tightly-Coiled
Natural Hair Textures
Define Your Coils. Shine Your Coils. Help Them Do What Nature Intended.
As I Am® Coil Defining Jelly is a flake-resistant formula, especially designed for easy coil definition of tightly coiled natural hair textures. Provides lasting definition, hydration and shine.
- Easy to use
- No flake formula*
- Adds lots of shine
- Designed especially for Wash n’ Go styling
Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Erythorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Pectin, Betaine, Phyllanthus Emblica Fruit Powder, Acacia Concinna Fruit Powder, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance/Parfum, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract, Carbomer, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Aminomethyl Propanol, Polyquaternium-11, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate
For Wash N’ Go Styling.
Not recommended for twists and twist-outs. Use As I Am® Twist Defining Cream for these styles.
First, cleanse your hair with one of the As I Am® cleansers: Cleansing Pudding+ or Coconut CoWash.
Start with clean wet detangled hair. (Cleanse with As I Am® Curl Clarity® Shampoo, Cleansing Pudding+ or Coconut CoWash). Distribute As I Am® Leave-In Conditioner or As I Am® Detangling Conditioner liberally from root to ends. (Leave hair wet. DO NOT TOWEL BLOT.) Apply Coil Defining Jelly to small sections from root to tip. Define coils by rotating your fingertip near the ends as you smooth on the Jelly. Spray hair with water if it begins to dry before you’re done. To define, you may also finger rake or finger coil.
Air Drying is Recommended. You may use a hood dryer on the low setting if time or weather is an issue. Fluff, separate or arrange your coils to style, only after hair is completely dry.
*When used as directed
Curling Jellies can be tricky to use, particularly for tightly coiled hair. This incredible no-flake formula is especially designed for easy coil definition, added softness, hydration and sheen.
Learning how to use gel products like As I Am® Coil Defining Jelly, may prove challenging at first, but with practice, you’ll become a “pro” in no time! If you are new to this, you might want to take advantage of the many good resources provided by experienced naturalistas on the internet. They can show you how to properly apply these types of products for beautiful wash n’ go styling. For now, here are some of my special tips:
- THIS IS A MUST! Apply As I Am® Leave-In Conditioner liberally to just-cleansed hair before applying the Coil Defining Jelly. You may elect to use As I Am® Detangling Conditioner instead, which is also a leave-in. It is a richer formulation, so take care not to overapply it. If after detangling with the Detangling Conditioner, you feel that a little too much is on your hair, briefly rinse to remove excess. Using our one of our leave-ins is essential for a softer, flake-free finish.
- Apply product liberally to small sections, to very wet hair. (Do not towel dry your hair after cleansing and conditioning.) When an adequate amount of product is applied, the section should feel very slippery to the touch and slide very easily between your thumb and forefinger as you smooth the product down the hair section.
- Take care not to over-apply because it will prolong drying time, (which is already lengthy due to the type of natural ingredients in the formula). Also, too much product can leave sticky clumpy droplets on the hair and cause eventual flaking.
- Whatever your application method, the Coil Defining Jelly must be worked well into the hair sections as you apply. Sliding sections several times between your thumb and forefinger, from root to tip, or "raking" larger sections of your hair, using your fingers as the rake, will form the definition of your coils and curls.
- As you apply the Coil Defining Jelly, arrange the hair sections in the position where you would ultimately want your hair to be positioned. For instance, if you want a side parted style, place the sections of hair in that direction as you apply the Coil Defining Jelly.
- SUPER IMPORTANT! After the application process is complete, do not touch your hair before it is completely dry! If you do, your hair may frizz and some of your definition may be lost! It's best to style your Wash n’ Go early in the day, and then allow it to air dry. Don't worry, the look you'll get when the product is applied looks glossy and well-defined. If you don't have the luxury of time or if the climate is cold, dry with a hood dryer, on the low setting.
- Once the hair is completely dry, feel free to fluff it (gently) to achieve your desired look. The more you manipulate the hair, the fuller it gets, so finger fluff more where you want fullness. Fluff little or not at all where you want flatter areas. Once hair has been fluffed, it won't return to the original flattened alignment until you re-wet and re-style your hair.
- Too much manipulation will result in frizz and loss of coil definition. Even after your hair is dry, refrain from disturbing your well defined coils, spirals or curls, particularly on the ends of your hair.
- On the days after you've styled with the Coil Defining Jelly, you may apply As I Am® Moisture Milk, DoubleButter® Cream, CocoShea Whip or CocoShea Spray for softness, moisture and sheen. If you notice any flakes, scrunching in a little of any of these hydrators should do the trick.
- Always secure your hair beneath a satin bonnet when you sleep. It will eliminate abrasion damage and keep your style looking good longer.
- Finally, don't be afraid of water. It's now your friend! If a section looks a little frizzy on the ends, dampen your forefinger and coil the ends around your finger to create a spiral. Watch how your own beautiful coils bounce back into alignment. Now, let it dry, without touching it while damp.
Definition but no hold!
I recently purchased this product along with the curling jelly, leave-in conditioner, and JBCO curling cream. The coil defining jelly really defined my coils (probably the most I have ever seen them defined). The definition was better than when I separately used the other products I purchased and even the hold I get with the edge booster gel. However, my wash n go lasted around a day and a half. By the end of day two, it was super frizzy and dry. There was practically no hold on this product at all. I like to avoid over manipulation with type 4 hair but with this product, it can not be avoided. I believe it is because glycerin is the second ingredient.
I love the coil defining Jelly. It works great for my hair type.
My Favorite Product designed to Defining Afro ***** Curly Hair!
It keeps my hair moisturized and curly. The curls are defined and soft without feeling too heavy and weighed down. A little goes a long way.
I AM in desperately need
I AM in desperately need to find one of your product, that I purchased in a local Target Store. I do not remember the name but know it was a brown transparent gel. I bought the Coil Defining Gelly, believing I finally found it and as much as I it, it's not what I need. In trying to find it I now have: 1 Coil Defining Gelly 3 Curling Jelly 1 Twist Defining Cream 1 Smoorhing Gel Please help me with this. I use it on my locs. It was amazing.